Access the information on this page in BSL Sign Language

POhWER is a leading secure services advocacy provider, working in more than 90 units in England, Scotland and Wales. The people we work with have learning disabilities, enduring mental health conditions, behaviours that challenge, physical disabilities, acquired brain injuries, autistic spectrum disorders and personality disorders. We work in a range of settings including prisons, high, medium and low secure hospitals, Psychiatric Intensive Care Units, acute settings, step-down units and residential facilities.  We deliver face-to-face, non-instructed, group and self-advocacy services, as well as supporting patient forums.

Who can access our Secure and Complex Advocacy Services?

We provide secure and complex advocacy in facilities managed by St Andrew’s Healthcare, The Priory Group, The Huntercombe Group, Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust, Brookdale Care, Lifeways and Elysium and at Brooklands Hospital and The Marbrook Centre. You can contact POhWER or hospital ward staff to find out about accessing or referring to these services.

How can an advocate help?

Our specialist advocates work with people to ensure that their voices are heard and that they have a say in decisions being made about their lives.

We help people understand and participate in, their care and treatment, keeping them at the centre of decision making at all times. Our advocates’ role is to understand the goals and ambitions that each person wants to work towards and to support and empower them to achieve these aims including supporting them to raise any concerns or complaints.

Where do we provide this service?Map of the UK with Our secure services indicated with colourful dots

You can find out if we provide a Secure and Complex Advocacy in your hospital/unit by clicking on the link below. If we don’t provide a service where you live, please call our Help Hub on 0300 456 2370 for information, advice and signposting to other organisations in your area who may be able to help you.

List of areas where we provide Secure Services

How do I get support from an advocate?       

You can speak to one our advocates when they visit your unit or ward. Or you can ask a member of the ward or unit staff to refer you for advocacy support. You, your family or friend can also contact us.

Secure Services and Independent Advocacy referral form (word version) 

Leaflets and Brochures

Secure and Complex Advocacy Service leaflet (pdf)

If you would like to find out more about Secure Services check out our brochure:

POhWER Secure and Complex Services brochure (pdf)

Secure and Complex Advocacy Service in BSL Sign Language