Access the information on this page in British Sign Language

What is Community Advocacy?

People who are vulnerable due to a disability, illness or their age may find it difficult to put their views across or feel they aren’t being listened to. Our advocates can support people to deal with an issue they are facing.

POhWER’s community advocacy services are free and confidential; our advocates are independent and only take actions they have agreed with the person they are working with.

How can an advocate help me?

Our advocates can help you to understand your rights and choices and get your voice heard.

We can support you if you:

  • Need help to speak up for yourself or give your views
  • Have problems getting people to listen to you
  • Feel vulnerable or think you are at risk of abuse or being discriminated against
  • Need help to access services that can support you with your health, wellbeing or independence

An advocate can help you with writing letters, making phone calls, arranging and going to meetings.

Who can use Community Advocacy?

Generally community advocacy is for adults who are 18 or over and we work with anyone who needs our support including:

  • people with learning disabilities
  • people with mental health problems
  • people with autism
  • people with a brain injury
  • people with physical disabilities
  • people with sensory impairments (sight and hearing problems)
  • older people
  • people with dementia
  • people with a long-term illness

In some areas our community advocates can also support carers or children. The eligibility criteria are different in different areas, please contact us on 0300 456 2370 for more information.

Where do we provide this service?

You can find out if we provide a Community Advocacy support in your area by clicking on the link below. If we don’t provide a service where you live, please call our Help Hub on 0300 456 2370 for information, advice and signposting to other organisations in your area who may be able to help you.

POhWER support in your area

How do I get support from a Community Advocate?

If you would like support from an advocate you can be referred to us by a health or care service professional. In some areas, a carer or family member can also make a referral, or you can contact us yourself.

Community Advocacy referral form (word version)

Further information and leaflets

Community Advocacy leaflet (pdf)

Community Advocacy in British Sign Language