Fraser is in his late fifties and asked for support from an advocate when he was detained under Section 3 of the Mental Health Act (MHA) on an acute hospital ward. Fraser receives support in the community for drug addiction, mental health, and HIV. Fraser was homeless as the hostel he was staying at had issued him with an eviction notice.

Petra, a POhWER Independent Mental Health Advocate (IMHA), met with Fraser and they discussed her remit and his rights under the MHA.

Fraser asked Petra to attend a multi-disciplinary team meeting with him. At the meeting Petra supported Fraser to raise his concerns about not having anywhere to live when he was discharged. It was agreed that the Council would be contacted regarding accommodation options. Fraser also asked for support with gaining ID so that he could access his bank account. He told them that he did not have any shoes and wished to buy some trainers before he was discharged. It was agreed that Fraser would be supported with the bank and in purchasing suitable footwear. 

When Petra visited Fraser a few days later it was late afternoon and he immediately told her that he was feeling very anxious as the staff had said he was being discharged that day. They had told him a taxi would take him to the Council office where he should register as homeless and await emergency housing. Fraser asked Petra to please speak to the manager on his behalf as he did still not have any ID to be able to access his money from the bank, a mobile phone, or any shoes. 

Petra met with the Discharge Care-Coordinator and Ward Manager. She told them that this was an unsafe discharge as it was so late in the afternoon, and under Section 3 of the MHA, Fraser was entitled to Section 117 aftercare (free help and support to meet a need that arises from, or relates to, your mental health problem, and reduces the risk of your mental condition getting worse, and you having to go back to hospital). Petra also reminded them that Fraser had asked for their support in getting ID so that he could access his money from the bank. Without access to the bank Fraser did not have any money or the funds to buy footwear. Petra also noted that Fraser did not have a mobile phone which he would need to keep in touch with his support team.

Following this discussion, it was agreed that Fraser would not be discharged that day. The team agreed to speak to the local authority and support Fraser to go to the Council office the following day. They would also take Fraser to the bank and a shoe shop and told Petra that Fraser would be given a mobile phone, a food parcel and the contact name and phone number of the Community Mental Health Team.

The next day Fraser was discharged from the hospital and a member of staff accompanied him to the bank where he requested a new bank card and withdrew some money. They went to the shoe shop to buy trainers and then went to the Council office where Fraser registered himself as homeless. 

Fraser is now living in a hostel and is engaging with local mental health services and other support services.